Wednesday 7 September 2011

Shepton Mallet and Street: A tale of two lidos

Lovely clean 1930's architecture
A scarlet sycamore leaf, curled at the edges and brittle dry floated in the clear blue water. Though the day was warm and sunny, there was an underlying chill and the sense of autumn coming in.

It's the final week of opening for Greenbank outdoor pool in Street, where I have been happily swimming since the start of the season at the end of April.

Membership renewal letters arrive in the first half of April which is massively exciting as one can look to the summer ahead. Today's floating leaf is a sure sign of summer being over and it is indeed bittersweet.

I took a moment to pause, acknowledge and appreciate how much I have loved coming here. The feeling of entering the water at the start of my swim, every day like the first time, receiving the water's warm and supportive embrace and my body expressing joy at the freedom of movement. Ploughing lengths steadily up and down has become a mindfulness practice for me, freeing the mind as I stay present to a new set of sensations in body and breath. The regular sounds of moving water complete the meditation.

Well tended lawns 
My exercise is witnessed by the ever changing British summer skies, and I am an all weather swimmer. I enjoy the hedonistic exuberance of hot high summer when families gather on the lawns, packs of teenagers too and the pool itself becomes a colourful vibrating squawking mass of shrieks, laughter and splashing.

I favour cooler, wet days. My favourite swims this season have been when I have donned my waterproofs, mounted my bicycle and cycled over in the rain, enjoying all the sensations and blessings of water. On such occasions one finds oneself surrounded in steam as warm water from the pool rises and condenses. Heavy downpours and moody black and grey clouds create a dramatic scenery.

When I have completed my swim I like to take a cold shower at the side of the pool, a sturdy hand cranked mechanism. Then scurry into the changing area, also open to the air, for more water therapy from the hot and powerful showers.

Swimming at Greenbank is a community affair. You will see regular faces (and bodies!) in the pool,  many (such as myself) show up for a swim most days. Sporty guys thrashing like sharks, its best to get out of their way! Young girls dart and dive like water nymphs, quick and graceful, young boys bombing and diving until reproached by the lifeguards. Older women swimming two abreast and chatting, reminding me of ducks. Most have a season ticket which makes it very affordable, additional discounts are available for Street residents.

Ladies outdoor showers
Some may not like the idea of swimming in chlorinated water, but as an outdoor pool, fumes evaporate off and honestly it doesn't feel overly chemicalised. And yes I love to swim in lakes, in the ocean, in rivers and under waterfalls too.

Living in town this is a practical and real solution that fits in well with daily life in Glastonbury: Greenbank pool is located three miles away in the commercial town of Street.

Is it heated? I get asked this a lot, usually by people who like the sound of an outdoor swim, but are hesitant because of the cold. I'm quite into the cold water experience and think it supports health and invigorates the body. And the pool is heated to a consistent temperature that is warm enough for most.

As all lidos, Greenbank represents a living history with roots in our once thriving industrial past. It has been granted Grade II listed building status. Taken from the pool's website, here is a brief summary:


Greenbank Pool was a gift to the people of Street from Alice Clark in 1937. The town's prosperity came from the Clark family firm of shoemakers, and the present-day headquarters of Clarks is still based in Street, close to the Pool and the Clark's factory shopping village.

Much of the housing adjacent to the Pool was originally built for factory workers and before the Pool was built the local men and boys used to swim naked in the nearby River Brue. Alice Clark was a strong supporter of womens rights and left money in her will indicating that she wished a pool to be built so that the women and girls would have somewhere to swim.

The Pool is a registered charity held in trust and administered by a management committee.


 
I take delight in the idea of swimming naked in the river Brue, a spot still favoured by some. How charming of Alice Clark to propose a more genteel solution for the town's womenfolk!

Further information and links www.greenbankpool.co.uk 

Lido entrance
I took a couple of dips in another pool, again quite local to Glastonbury, at Shepton Mallet Lido. Another ongoing episode of social history. It's quite a contrast to Greenbank pool and I would not want to compare the two as they are so different in character. 

Shepton Mallet has, to be honest, a somewhat down trodden air, a market town formerly sustained by farming (Shepton = Sheep Town) and now dominated by a new edge of town Tesco and retail park, it speaks the story of many small towns across the UK. The fact that the lido has survived and was redeveloped in recent years speaks of resilience and survival.

The water is ingeniously heated from the industrial process at the immediately adjacent cider factory.  Heat produced when the factory chills its drinks is passed through a system of pipes to the pool. This means that the temperature is not constant.  I was greeted by an handwritten notice, taped to the window, informing me that the pump had broken and it may not be warm enough to swim in. My heart beat a little faster in my chest: a challenge!

Pool with cider factory next door
I paid my fee to the slightly bored attendant who now due to my presence would have to sit outside and watch the pool under the heavy showers.  

It was raining hard, mercurial silver raindrops pelted the pool like bullets. Vast cylindrical metal tanks to one side and rolling Somerset pastureland on the other, somewhat dilapidated social housing ahead it was a curious landscape. 

I was the sole swimmer, and the water was cold, yet refreshingly so. I managed about fifteen minutes, a dozen lengths before I started to lose communication to my limbs. 

The showers and changing facilities are enclosed and basic. I didn't linger. I didnt feel a sense of care and did expect a higher level of hygiene and tidiness. If it were my regular pool I might find this challenging.

Shepton Mallet lido is managed by Avalon Leisure who direct local municipal leisure resources. This means that if you are a member of any local leisure centre, entrance is free or included. I hope that this pool continues to receive support, and also a little love and caring.

Opening times, location and more information from Avalon Leisure  

Archived article from Mendip Council www.mendip.gov.uk/NewsArticle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and conversation are warmly welcomed!